Coxarthrosis is a deforming arthrosis of the hip joint.It is a chronic disease characterized by degenerative tissue changes, cartilage damage. Symptomatically, coxarthrosis is defined by regular pain and deformity of the hip joint, limited mobility. The pathological lesions are based on cartilage damage and the subsequent inflammatory response. In arthrosis, bone tissue changes. The lesion occurs locally, but other joint joints may also be affected. The main contingent of patients is the elderly. Risk factors can be hereditary predisposition, high body weight and trauma. Endocrine disorders and metabolic imbalances are experienced in those with this problem. But the main focus in the treatment is on restoring the structure and function of the cartilage. The treatment of coxarthrosis is a long-term process that includes anti-inflammatory therapy, the use of chondroitin and glucosamine preparations to replenish the nutrition of the joints, exercise therapy, and physiotherapy. Herbal treatment is recommended for maintaining joints at home. Proper diet and moderate exercise are essential.
Symptoms of coxarthrosis
In coxarthrosis, articular cartilage is primarily subject to deforming changes. There are 3 stages in the development of the disease. In the initial stage, there are no morphological changes in the tissues of the joint. Only its functional viability suffers. A person feels periodic pain in the joint area after physical exertion, running, walking long distances. After rest, the pain syndrome disappears. In the second stage, the bone begins to deform. The naturalness of the movements decreases sharply. The pain is intense and often appears at rest. The third stage is characterized by chronic pain syndrome. The pain bothers the patients day and night. Walking without reeds is difficult, the person is forced to tilt the body forward. Multiple growths appear on the joint bones.
The main symptoms of arthrosis are:
- morning stiffness;
- joint pain;
- Difficulties in moving more than 1 km;
- increased pain with prolonged sitting or standing.
Ear doctors call coxarthrosis one of the most common types of arthrosis. The risk group includes obese people who do heavy physical work, the elderly. Lack of treatment leads to complete destruction of the hip joint, along with unnatural motility or complete immobility, as well as severe disorders of the lower extremities.
Treatment for Coxarthrosis begins with restriction of exercise. It is a long-term process that combines a variety of therapeutic methods: taking anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs, intraarticular injections, physiotherapy, and exercise.
Characteristics of 1, 2, 3 degree treatment of coxarthrosis:
- in the first stage, NSAIDs are prescribed to stop the inflammatory process, drugs that normalize metabolic processes and painkillers are also needed, folk remedies are used in complex therapy;
- in the second stage of coxarthrosis, intra-articular injections based on hyaluronic acid are added to drug therapy, laser treatment and electrical stimulation are performed;
- the third stage is treated conservatively and operatively, when joint surgery is not possible without surgery, joint prosthesis is performed.
Medication plays the biggest role. Without anti-inflammatory and supportive agents, dystrophic changes cannot be avoided and permanent pain cannot be eliminated. Physicians prescribe various pharmacological agents to alleviate the condition of patients during exacerbations.
- Medication plays the biggest role. Without anti-inflammatory and supportive agents, dystrophic changes cannot be avoided and permanent pain cannot be eliminated. Physicians prescribe various pharmacological agents to alleviate the condition of patients during exacerbations.
- Muscle relaxants. Reduce skeletal muscle tone. The muscles relax, as a result of which the pain syndrome decreases, one can relax oneself from the pain. These drugs are contraindicated in patients with arrhythmias.
- Chondroprotectors. Symptomatic preparations containing collagen. They nourish and restore damaged cartilage. From the outside, they supply collagen to the joint and stimulate its production by the body. Chondroprotective drugs are drunk for a long time. As a result of these funds, the metabolism in the tissues improves and the destroyed cartilage gradually increases. In complex therapy, these drugs are undoubtedly beneficial, especially in the early stages of the disease. In the case of chronic arthrosis, the disability is postponed.
Injections are made with hyaluronic acid and synthetic materials similar in composition to the synovial fluid to stop cartilage tissue destruction and provide "lubrication" to the joint. They are very compatible with the tissues of the human body. They effectively stop the process of cartilage destruction, have an analgesic and chondroprotective effect. Synthetic materials contain silver ions, which have an additional bacteriostatic effect.
Endoprosthetics is a surgical method of treating the hip joint. When irreversible consequences in cartilage tissues due to coxarthrosis and dysplasia occur, joint replacement is resorted to. As a result of surgery, it is possible not only to reduce the permanent pain syndrome, but also to restore joint function and motility. The articulated joints are made of metal-polyethylene and ceramic. Attachment to living bone occurs without and without cement. Endoprostheses are well rooted and can serve for decades. In some cases, however, the prosthesis wears out quickly and then a second operation is required.
The treatment of hip arthrosis is performed by complex measures, including physiotherapy. This direction is related to physical rehabilitation, supporting the body during healing and remission, and preventing exacerbations. Physiotherapy is practiced by orthopedists, traumatologists, rheumatologists, masseurs, and exercise instructors.
The following methods are recognized as effective in the treatment of coxarthrosis:
- ultrasound therapy;
- laser therapy;
- manual therapy.
With ultrasound therapy, high-frequency waves penetrate the tissues and act like a vibrating massage. They improve biochemical processes, prevent stagnation, promote better absorption of medicinal substances. Ultrasound reduces inflammation.
Laser treatment dilates blood vessels, stimulates lymph flow, inhibits inflammation and heals tissues. The technique improves the trophism of tissues, helps preserve the structure and function of organs.
During inductothermia, high frequency waves affect the body. The method is effective in the presence of any inflammation and pathology of the musculoskeletal system. It stimulates the immune system, relieves pain and has a regenerating effect.
Massage is hardware and mechanical. Contrary to popular belief, massage is not just about the surface layer of the skin and muscles. During the work of the masseur, the reflex and humoral regulatory mechanisms of the internal organs are activated. Through a combination of a variety of massage techniques, the patient receives anticonvulsant, tonic, lymphatic drainage and analgesic effects.
A chiropractor works on a person’s bones and joints. It relieves tension in some areas, tones others, eliminates pain, and restores the functional viability of joints. First, the doctor uses diagnostic techniques to determine the condition and abilities of the muscles, ligaments, joints. Then he switches to treatment. Manual techniques are not used for exacerbations and complications.
The role of treatment
Sanatorium treatment is of great importance for coxarthrosis. Institutions for the treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal disorders use primarily natural factors.
- Climate therapy. These are the characteristics of the terrain, the combination of weather factors, sea water, sun, air. Climatotherapy promotes healing, prevents the development of exacerbations, improves the course of biological and physiological processes in the body. They create ideal conditions for treating arthrosis in areas with high air temperatures and a lot of sunlight.
- Healing mud. Originally different. These are peat, sulfide sludge, sapropel, hydrothermal. They are characterized by high heat capacity. They contain mineral, organic, biologically active components that penetrate the skin and have a beneficial effect on the joints. They improve metabolic processes, reduce inflammation and normalize blood circulation.
- Mineral water. Contains trace elements, dissolved salts, biologically active substances. In the case of locomotor diseases, the intake of mineral baths is indicated. The procedures increase mobility, give tone, activate blood circulation, improve metabolism.
- Phytotherapy. Method based on the use of herbs. Infusions and decoctions contain large amounts of active ingredients, which not only effectively support the patient's body, but also have a pronounced therapeutic effect.
In sanatoriums, treatment with natural factors is combined with physiotherapy methods, exercise, diet, and daily routine. Spa programs are developed for all stages of joint disease.
In recommendations for people with arthrosis, doctors recommend limiting the load on the legs. You may want to stop squatting, squatting, and physical work more carefully in the house and garden. Do not strain the joint if you are already feeling the pain (reduce the cardinal strain). It is especially worth ruling out running, jumping. However, it is not possible without gymnastics.
Special exercises must be performed for the joint to function. A person with arthrosis is categorically unsuitable for "youth" gymnastics - at a rapid pace, with increasing workload, with high intensity throughout the session. In case of a sore joint, the exercise should be done extremely slowly, smoothly, measuredly until discomfort or pain appears. If there is pain - you may want to take a break.
Therapeutic gymnastics allows you to normalize the condition of your muscles, improve blood circulation in your joints, ensure proper nutrition, and remove the products of breakdown and inflammation. Gymnastics helps medications get into a sore joint quickly and start having a therapeutic effect. The most difficult task in physiotherapy practices is to correctly load the load. Training too short does not achieve a healing effect. And overloading causes additional damage to the joint. Competent recommendations can only be given by your doctor. In each case, they depend on the patient's condition and the characteristics of the course of the disease.
Nutrition for coxarthrosis
There are several reasons for cartilage destruction. Nutrition is of great importance in the treatment of arthrosis of the 1, 2, 3 degree hip joint. Today, the market is full of preservative-rich foods. Attractive hams, smoked meats and sausages on the shelves contain a large number of specific components. The meat is treated with enzymes and active ingredients, which speed up the production process and quickly get an attractive product. Preservatives increase the shelf life of any product: ready or raw, which is not possible but can be widely used by manufacturers.
When consuming food filled with preservatives, one gets excess salt which retains moisture. The salt remains and accumulates in the cartilage tissue and the joints become defective. Such arthrosis is inherently a simple inflammation that is well suited for therapy. And coxarthrosis, which is caused by metabolic disorders, metabolic failure, and the consumption of junk food, requires adherence to a diet. There is no need to strictly restrict food intake or give up a complete list of healthy foods. Just a few simple rules:
- refuse all finished smoked meat from the store;
- exclude the consumption of concentrated broths;
- give preference to cooking and stew according to the cooking method;
- completely rule out the consumption of salt, do not buy salted fish, sausages, canned food;
- consume no more than 10-15 g of animal fat per day, prepare meals by adding various vegetable oils;
- monitors the caloric content of foods, gives up so-called "fast" carbohydrates, sugar, pastries;
- exclude mayonnaise from the diet, season salads and sauces with low-fat sour cream;
- excludes the consumption of alcoholic beverages;
- limits the consumption of fatty fish, caviar.
Instead of smoked meat, buy natural meat, chickens raised on farms by domestic producers. It is better to cook the first meals in vegetable soups without boiling foods rich in vitamins for several hours. The broth cubes popular today are almost 100% chemicals. This is the purest form of harm.
cooked meat should not be completely left out. But it is better to take pre-cooked lean pieces and put them on a plate in installments, and only then pour the vegetable soup. The total rejection of meat is extreme.
An old recipe for preserving the strength of bones and joints is jelly meat. A few decades ago, when little was known about artificial preservatives, this was justified. Now such a product can only increase cholesterol.
Fresh fish have not been previously treated with preservatives. But modern manufacturers have also learned this. Today, we can only talk about the benefits of fish if it came to the counter directly from a fishing boat or was bought alive.
Only by changing the principles of nutrition can the suffering of deforming arthrosis be reduced. The diet should include large amounts of fresh vegetables, berries, herbs, fruits. Low fat dairy products, lean meats and chicken are useful. Rice, beets, potatoes, watermelon help remove salt from the body. Once a week it is recommended to organize fasting days on kefir, cottage cheese, fruit, herbal decoctions.